Friday, February 25, 2005

Afternoon at the Capitol

Spent part of the day earlier this week at our State Capitol in Salem for a pro-education rally by teachers and students from all over the State. I received the assignment at the last minute, and because I wasn't able to travel with the school bus congregation from our coverage area, I had to go around and guess to see who was from where, which isn't easy in a group of thousands.

I think that this is the problem with our paper, but by no means unique to it: advanced planning. Well anyway, this little boy was sitting on a pedastal in front of the capitol after the rally, looking ponderous or bored.


4 Comments:

Blogger Mark M. Hancock said...

A little too much flare and distance for my tastes. Did you get the boy's name?

1:44 AM  
Blogger Jon said...

I agree that the distance is pretty far, making the kid small. I wanted to keep those other children on the corners of the frame, though maybe I was asking for too much by additionally composing for them. Perhaps a much tighter shot, with him more closely outlined by the Capitol would have been better?

We have his name, but unfortunately our paper won't run it if the person's from outside our coverage area.

thank you for your thoughts

3:34 PM  
Blogger Mark M. Hancock said...

I could understand preferring to run locals, but I've never heard of an exclusionary policy.
Anyway, if you tag his name on the cutline here, I'm sure you'll make his mom happy one day. :-)

12:23 AM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

That's true at our newspaper also. We are VERY local, and mostly only run stories that relate to our circulation area. And big AP stories, not much in between. You see a great photo and hope that the person in the frame is local?? Makes it kind of hard.

5:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home